The Objectives of VEJA
- To promote a culture of environmental awareness and sustainable development
- To provide a local network of support and assistance to community –based organizations, non-governmental organizations, trade-unions, religious groupings, woman's groupings and youth
- To perform an educational role in promoting and understanding of the inter-related nature of social, political, environmental and economic factors limiting or enabling the achievement of a sustainable, equitable and just society and to promote the wise use and conservation of natural resources.
- To engage with other role players including but not limited to the local authority, provincial government, industry and commerce in order to promote a healthy, safe and sustainable environment
- Air quality, climate change and energy
- Water Quality
- Environmental health
We focusing on monitoring the following Polluters:
Petrochemical industry ( Sasol Chemical Industry)
Local government as a polluter
VEJA will negotiate and fight for lean air, clean water an clean environment.
· The end to pollution in the Vaal Triangle
· The repair of pollution damage to the environment
· Compensation for pollution damage to people’s health & livelihoods
· Government must implement sustainable interventions, suitable to community not Basa nje ngomagogo