- The Emfuleni Local Municipality (Sedibeng) in Gauteng Province,
- The Midvaal Local Municipality (Sedibeng) in Gauteng Province,
- The administrative regions of Doornkop and Soweto, Diepkoof and Meadowlands and Ennerdale and Orange Farm within the City of Johannesburg in Gauteng,
- The Metsimaholo Municipality in the North Free State, Free State Province.
- Ambient air quality standards are being, or may be, exceeded in the area, or any other situation exists which is causing, or may cause, a significant negative impact on air quality in the area; and
- The area requires specific air quality management action to rectify the situation.
- Develop a priority area air quality management plan for the Vaal Triangle Airshed Priority Area.
- Ensure improvement of air quality within the Vaal Triangle Airshed Priority Area.
- Reduce environmental and human health risks.
- Reduce emissions in an equitable & cost-effective way.
- Empower local municipalities, provincial government and national government to meet its obligations as outlined in the Air Quality Act.
|Roundtable discussion with Mazwi Lushaba and Victor Loate|
Vaal Environmental Justice Alliance has been following this process from the beginning. We have observe how industries want to hijack the process to hide the reality that they are polluting. Government has install six monitoring, this station proved that pollution in the area has increase especially PM10 emssions. Industries continue to blame this pollution on poor communities. Next article we will right about Basanje ngogo strategy, it a short term strategy to address coal burning.
VEJA was concern about the development and community involvement. Department of Environmental Affairs reached out to us, so far we had two separate meeitng to address our concern more importantly to come up with a joined communities invlovement plan. In the last meeting, Department agreed to train 20 monitor from VEJA about air quality. This monitor they will work as pollution watchdog in their different areas and they will observe and records pollution incidents and report to the relevent structures. They will also be trained on how take samples. Next step they will ran outreach and awareness programs. If things goes according to plan, training will take place in march. National Department of Environment, Sedibeng District manucipality and Fezile Dabi will provide taining, venue and material. We want the entire community to understand environment, start asking questions about it and start pointing out the real culprit.